Academic Areas: Microbiology
Research Interests: host-microbe crosstalk, gut microbiota, microbial genetics
PhD in Microbiology, 2012, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing;
BA in Microbiology, 1997, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing.
Professor (2016- present); Huazhong University of Science and Technology, School of Life Science and Technology;
Professor (2014-2016); Chinese Academy of Agricultural Science;
Research Associate (2010-2014); University of Pennsylvania, Perelman School of Medicine;
Post-Doctoral Fellow (2005-2010); University of Pennsylvania, Perelman School of Medicine;
Post-Doctoral Fellow (2003-2005); Huazhong University of Science and Technology, School of Life Science and Technology.
1. Zhi Liu, Hui Wang, Zhigang Zhou, Ying, Sheng, NawarNaseer, Biao Kan,and Jun Zhu. Thiol-based switch mechanism of virulence regulator AphB modulates oxidative stress in Vibrio cholerae. Molecular Microbiology, Accepted.
2. Zhi Liu, Wenshu Liu, Chao Ran, Jun Hu &Zhigang Zhou. Abrupt suspension of probiotics administration may increase host pathogen susceptibility by inducing gut dysbiosis. Scientific Reports, 6:23214|DOI:10.1038/srep23214;
3. Zhi Liu, Hui Wang, Zhigang Zhou, NawarNaseer, Fu Xiang, Biao Kan, Mark Goulian, and Jun Zhu. Differential thiol-based switches jump-start Vibrio choleraepathogenesis. Cell Reports. 2016,14,347-354;
4. Ran C, Huang L, Liu Z, Xu L, Yang Y, Tacon P, Auclari E, Zhou Z. A comparison of the beneficial effects of live and heat-inactivated Baker’s yeast on Nile Tilapia: suggestions on the role and function of the secretory metabolites released from the yeast. PLOS one.2015, 10(12):e0145448
5. Lasaro M, Liu Z. Bishar R. Kelly K. Chattopadhyay S. Paul S. Sokurenko E. Zhu J. Goulian M. An E. coli isolate for study colonization of the mouse intestine and its application to two-component signaling knockouts. J. Bacteriol. 2014,196(9):1723-32;
6. Fenxia Fan, Zhi Liu, NusratJabeen, L. Dillon Birdwell, Jun Zhu, Biao Kan, Enhanced interaction of Vibrio cholerae virulence regulators TcpP and ToxR under oxygen-limiting conditions. Infection and Immunity, 2014, 82(4):1672-82(Co-first author);
7. Menghua Yang, Zhi Liu, Chambers Hughes, Andrew M Stern, Hui Wang, ZengtaoZhong, Biao Kan, William Fenical, and Jun Zhu, Bile Salt-induced intermolecular disulfide bond formation activates Vibrio cholerae virulence. PNAS, 2013,110(6):2348-2353 (Co-first author) ;
8. Liu Z, M Yang, G.L. Peterfreund, Amy M. Tsou, M. Selamonglu, F. Daldal, Z. Zhong, B. Kan, and J Zhu. Vibrio cholerae anaerobic induction of virulence gene expression is controlled by thiol-based switches of virulence regulator AphB. PNAS.2011, 108(2):810-815. [ recommended as being of special significance in its field by Dr. Victor Dirita from the F1000 faculty, http://f1000.com/prime/717967920];
9. Liu Z, Tim Miyashiro, Amy Tsou, Ansel Hsiao, Mark Goulian and Jun Zhu. Mucosal penetration primes Vibrio cholerae for host colonization by repressing quorum sensing. PNAS, 2008, 105(28): 9769-9774 (in this issue)(Comment, E.M. Adler, N.R.Gough, and A.M. VanHook. Science Signaling Podcast: 23 September 2008 Sci Signal 2008 1:pc8);
10. Amy M. Tsou,ErinM.Frey, Ansel Hsiao, Zhi Liu and Jun Zhu. Coordinated regulation of virulence by quorum sensing and motility pathways during the initial stages of Vibrio cholerae infection. Communicative and Integrative Biology2008 1:1,42-44(Co-corresponding author);
11. Zhi Liu, Fiona R. Stirling and Jun Zhu. Temporal quorum-sensing induction regulates Vibrio cholerae biofilm architecture. Infection and Immunity. 2007,75(1):122-126;
12. Ansel Hiao, Zhi Liu, Adam Joelsson, and Jun Zhu. Vibrio cholerae virulence regulator-corrdinated evasion of host immunity. PNAS,2006, 103(39):14542-14547;
13. Zhi Liu, Ansel Hsiao, Adam Joelsson, Jun Zhu. A Transcriptional Regulator VqmA Increases the Expression of the Quorum Sensing Activator HapR in Vibrio cholerae. Journal of Bacteriology. 2006, 188(7):2446-2453 ;
14.Zhi Liu, Qing Hong, Jian-Hong Xu, Wu Jun, Shun-Peng Li, Construction of a genetically engineered microorganism for degrading organophosphate and carbamate pesticides. International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation. 2006(58):65-69.
1. 1000 People Plan (Youth), (11st), Organization Department of the CPC Central Committee
2. Microbial quorum sensing system and pathogen control, 973 project, (2015CB150605) Ministry of Science and Technology(2015-2019)
3. Molecular mechanism of transcriptional regulator OhrR on Vibrio cholerae responses in redox switches,NSFC grants (81572050), 2016-2019;